I am such a sucker for these Chado Ralph Rucci designs! That shoulder line gets me every time. The pattern I used was part of the new Vogue releases, 1437.
The pattern calls for a rather involved self-lining technique. Because I’m using a heavyweight fabric, I chose to forgo the self-lining. And because the fabric does not fray, I decided that it would not need a lining at all. I’m sure that the recommended lining technique from the pattern directions would result in a lovely finish, but for this fabric at this point in my life, I skipped it.
For an edge finish, I pinked and graded the seam allowances, then turned them to the side and topstitched. The fabric does not fray at all, so this finish will hold up fine.
I picked up the fabric at an estate sale. It has a terrific weight and hand. However, it was a terrible mustard yellow color from the 1980’s. So, I figured I would try to dye it, and it came out great! It’s probably a wool blend rather than 100%, because it handled the washer and dryer like a champ. I had to put it in the dryer because of the possibility of bedbugs.
EDIT A couple of people mentioned in the comments that they are interested in my dye process, so here’s some info. I did not want to go into the dye process, because I totally messed it up, so my results are probably not replicable. I used “moss green” acid dye from Dharma Trading. BUT I have a brand-new washing machine, and I am not yet entirely familiar with its workings. So, when I was dyeing the fabric, the dye bath water started draining WAY too soon and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I had to add the vinegar to the rinse cycle, rather than add it to the dye cycle. It turned out a lovely color, just lighter than I originally intended.