I’ve been thinking about shirts for spring, and am looking for a slightly more casual take on the classic shirt. I’ve seen some interesting use of contrast out and about from designers, and thought it would be nice to try it. Looking in my fabric closet, I did not seem to have any shirting fabrics that I could see together, so I took some shirting and dyed part of it to create the contrast in the collar, placket, and cuffs.
The pattern is based on Ryuichiro Shimazaki’s shirtmaking book (the one that Peter is working with now), but I made some significant modifications. I cut the front in one piece, with the placket extending halfway down. I added a bust dart, shortened the sleeves, shortened the overall length, and added a barrel cuff. These changes make the shirt much more casual.