Printed Moto Jacket — Printing

velvet-moto-8819

If you want to keep your sanity, never screen print on velvet. The end result is OK, but it was a bit maddening getting there. The screen kept moving on its own because of the nap, resulting in several double prints. After I finished, I realized that if I had ironed each piece immediately before placing it on the platen, that would have made my life easier. In this case, they actually look OK, and I think I can get away with acting like I meant them to be that way.

The print is adapted from a photo I took of the trees in my back yard while lying on the trampoline with my kids.

upper collar

upper collar

About these ads

6 Comments

1. Posted February 6, 2014 at 7:09 am | Permalink | Reply

OMG, this is amazing!

2. Posted February 6, 2014 at 7:35 am | Permalink | Reply

Velver is not so easy but your screen prints look amazing! Great result!

3. Posted February 6, 2014 at 8:49 am | Permalink | Reply

Looks great, your trees are lovely and delicate, like lace. Could you tell us what sort of paint you’re using? Is it thickened to prevent running off into the fabric? I suppose you don’t do any washing out of potential excess after the painting is done, and don’t intend to wash the garment once completed? Will it stand up to dry cleaning?

• Posted February 6, 2014 at 9:53 am | Permalink | Reply

Thanks! I used Speedball screen printing ink in Pearl Opaque White. You can find it here. There are loads of different inks that you can pick from. It is permanent, washable, ironable, dry cleanable, etc.

4. Posted February 7, 2014 at 10:02 am | Permalink | Reply

This looks lovely, I like the delicacy against the black.

5. Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

So interesting…thanks for sharing your process!