Moto Jacket — Welt Pockets

velvet-moto-8822

Since you are all so nice about expressing your interest in my project, I am motivated to post my progress. I’ve finished the side front seams and one of the welt pockets. The jacket will be unlined, so I’m putting a Hong Kong finish on the seams, using bias strips of black silk organza. The pocket bags are silk twill.

left side front, inside view.  You can see my Hong Kong seam finish and the pocket bag for the welt pocket.

left side front, inside view. You can see my Hong Kong seam finish and the pocket bag for the welt pocket.

About these ads

8 Comments

1. Posted February 7, 2014 at 8:17 am | Permalink | Reply

This is going to be a very interesting jacket Claudine. I admire your willingness to experiment.
    Question for you. What kind of paint are you using for your screen printing? A classmate in college who did a lot of screen printing, of course he also slept in the same room, got lead poisoning from the fumes. Back when I was still making art I went to a seminar on the safe use of art materials and there are some seriously dangerous chemicals in some art materials.

• Posted February 7, 2014 at 9:02 am | Permalink | Reply

I’m pretty sure I’m OK. The Speedball ink I used is “non-toxic” and “water based”.

2. Posted February 7, 2014 at 8:19 am | Permalink | Reply

Oh, I forgot that I wanted to ask how you finish the pocket bags since this is going to be unlined? It looks like French seamed edges and I have no clue how to do this in a pocket bag that is usually attached separately to the pocket opening.

• Posted February 7, 2014 at 9:04 am | Permalink | Reply

After sewing the pocket bags together, I trimmed seam allowance on the pocket bag that is closest to the jacket, then folded the other edge over the folded edge and sewed it in place.

3. Posted February 7, 2014 at 8:50 am | Permalink | Reply

This looks like another unique project from you – I’m in awe of your ability to work with fabric. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

4. Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

As usual I am in awe of you yet again. The screen printing on this coat is AMAZING!!! I can’t wait to see the finished garment. As you know already, I love everything you make and enjoy reading about it as well. Thanks for sharing.

5. Blakandblanca
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 8:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Wonderful, as all of your projects are! I have been enjoying all of your posts, just sort of lurking in the shadows, but must tell you that all is so beautiful and inspiring. thank you for sharing.