Printed Moto Jacket — Revealed!

moto-jacket-8849

Tadaa! This will almost certainly be my go-to spring jacket. If spring ever arrives in the eastern United States, that is.

For all posts about the making of this jacket, click here.

front

front

collar and lapel detail

collar and lapel detail

zipper and covered snap detail

zipper and covered snap detail

silk-organza covered snap

silk-organza covered snap

the inside is unlined. I did a Hong Kong finish on the seams.  The facings and lapels are silk satin.

the inside is unlined. I did a Hong Kong finish on the seams. The facings and lapels are silk satin.

back

back

side view

side view

This is the photo that I tweaked with photo editing software to get my screen printing motif.

About these ads

44 Comments

1. Elizabeth
    Posted February 15, 2014 at 2:03 am | Permalink | Reply

I think this is my absolutely favorite of all the garments you have made. But then I say that every time. You have truly outdone yourself. I love everything about this. The velvet, the screen printing, the spare quality. The juxtaposition of velvet with a moto jacket design. Gorgeous!

2. Nancy
    Posted February 15, 2014 at 2:38 am | Permalink | Reply

I covet this jacket!

• Posted February 15, 2014 at 8:26 am | Permalink | Reply

Thanks! Maybe you could make one of your own.

3. Anke
    Posted February 15, 2014 at 3:25 am | Permalink | Reply

This is simply beautiful!

4. Posted February 15, 2014 at 3:59 am | Permalink | Reply

This is one of the nicet jackets I have ever seen. The printing is beautiful. Inspirational.

5. Posted February 15, 2014 at 4:24 am | Permalink | Reply

Gorgeous jacket. The screen printing is awesome!

• Posted February 15, 2014 at 8:24 am | Permalink | Reply

Thanks! I think more people should learn to screen print.

6. Posted February 15, 2014 at 4:25 am | Permalink | Reply

Amazing! I’m sure you will get many compliments wearing it.

7. Posted February 15, 2014 at 5:13 am | Permalink | Reply

Outstanding job!!! It’s a wonderful one-of-a-kind jacket, well constructed, fashionable and so unique! Congratullations and thanks for sharing your construction process, I enjoyed following along your journey!

8. jackienj
    Posted February 15, 2014 at 5:50 am | Permalink | Reply

Moto means fire in Swahili, (I’m Kenyan).
    Your finished jacket is a work of art.

9. Posted February 15, 2014 at 6:27 am | Permalink | Reply

It’s just … perfect.

10. Posted February 15, 2014 at 7:33 am | Permalink | Reply

You have outdone yourself again. What a lovely job, and unique too. I LOVE IT!!! You should be very proud of yourself. Thank you so much for sharing.

11. Posted February 15, 2014 at 7:56 am | Permalink | Reply

I love it! Hope I get to see it in person this spring.

12. Joanne
    Posted February 15, 2014 at 7:59 am | Permalink | Reply

Sheer perfection Claudine. I am a huge fan of your blue lace dress years back, (and many others) and this just follows suit.
    In reviewing your previous posts…….what pattern was this? Self drafted? I am also in awe that you put this together within the same month! That NEVER happens to me, even with the best of intentions and organization.
    Truly wonderful.
    Joanne

• Posted February 15, 2014 at 8:21 am | Permalink | Reply

Thanks! I based the pattern on one from Ryuichiro Shimazaki’s coatmaking book. The pattern I started with was not a motorcycle jacket, so I made a lot of changes. The reason I did not blog about the pattern is that it would be hard to document the changes I made (some were very small) and I would not want anyone else to try this and be disappointed. It would be better to start with a pattern for a motorcycle jacket if you want to make one. StyleArc has a nice one.

13. Posted February 15, 2014 at 8:39 am | Permalink | Reply

this is so awesome! I love the print placements :)

• Posted February 15, 2014 at 8:41 am | Permalink | Reply

Thanks! I was very careful with the placement when I was printing.

14. Posted February 15, 2014 at 8:45 am | Permalink | Reply

It’s beautiful, Claudine. Truly a work of art. I’ve enjoyed all the construction posts and love all the photos. The screen printing is what takes this up and over the moon. Gorgeous!

15. Posted February 15, 2014 at 9:23 am | Permalink | Reply

Just Fabulous! Thanks so much for the inspiration;)

16. Posted February 15, 2014 at 9:51 am | Permalink | Reply

Love this! And I love how you really make every project your own. I hope to see this on you soon! (Enough winter already!)

• Posted February 15, 2014 at 10:02 am | Permalink | Reply

Thanks! In one of my parallel fantasy lives, I have a fiber-based farm where I start my project by feeding sheep and silk worms and planting flax.

17. Posted February 15, 2014 at 10:28 am | Permalink | Reply

Super! Absolutely lovely. I like the way you have combined the tough image of a biker jacket with the delicacy of the print and rich fabrics.

• Posted February 15, 2014 at 10:33 am | Permalink | Reply

Thanks! That’s just the juxtaposition I was going for.

18. Carolyn
    Posted February 15, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink | Reply

Another work of art, truly! Thanks for sharing your process with us!

19. Posted February 15, 2014 at 11:57 am | Permalink | Reply

fantastic and what a great creative expression.

20. Posted February 15, 2014 at 12:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

This jacket takes sewing to a new level with such inspiration and perfect execution….using fabrics that are not always co-operative! Amazing result and something that belongs in a museum for future sewers to admire and drool over! Never take it off and leave in on a chair for someone will surely run off with it!

21. Posted February 15, 2014 at 12:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

What a beautiful piece of wearable art you created. Extremely inspirational. I am in awe.

22. Barbara
    Posted February 15, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

How did you make your screen for printing? Through Marcy Tilton’s service? Your jacket is truly beautiful – everything about it. Well done. Most impressive.
    Barbara

• Posted February 15, 2014 at 6:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

I made the screen using photo emulsion from dharma trading. I’m not familiar with Marcy’s service.

23. Posted February 15, 2014 at 7:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

You always create your own wonderful, unique spin on a current fashion trend. Lovely jacket!

24. Posted February 15, 2014 at 8:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

Looks excellent, those lacy trees are tremendous. I’m curious, did you use a specifically “moto” pattern, or did you adapt a double-breasted pea-style jacket for the sleeve and front zippers?

• Posted February 15, 2014 at 10:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks! I adapted a pea coat pattern from a Japanese pattern book.

25. Posted February 18, 2014 at 8:07 am | Permalink | Reply

Wow, this is off the charts!

26. Posted February 19, 2014 at 12:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

EXQUISITE!!!!

One Trackback

1. By Me Made May 2014 Wrap-Up « Rolling in Cloth on June 1, 2014 at 1:04 am

[…] blogged here; jacket blogged here […]