Here’s my latest make! It’s Vogue 1301, in black silk organza and black nylon lace, lined and trimmed in pink silk twill. It should be great for warm weather socializing. I started with the pattern, then looked in my closet for fabrics that would go with it. My initial thought was to make it with velvet, but it takes a lot of fabric. I thought if I made it with velvet, it would end up weighing too much. So I went the diaphanous route.
I made a couple of changes to the pattern. The armhole seemed low, so I raised it a bit. After trying it on, I was glad I did. Also, the scarf piece, as drafted, was very long and very wide. I halved the width and kept the length. In addition, the pattern calls for the scarf piece to be permanently attached at the neckline. I thought this might make the dress hard to clean because the scarf would wrap around stuff in the washing machine, so I finished the neckline without the scarf, and just basted the scarf in place. I’ll remove the scarf for cleaning, then reattach it afterward. And I shortened the hem in the front. It seemed to me like there was just a little too much dress and some of it needed to go.